Deadline [TB]. Submit nominations [TBA].
The QCNR Teacher of the Year Award is given each year to recognize and
emphasize excellence in teaching. Other scholarly activity such as
research and publication records may become a consideration in the
selection process, but the main emphasis will be on teaching excellence
as judged by faculty and students.
The selection of a faculty member at the college level nominates the college Teacher of the Year for the Robins Award "Teacher of the Year" which is selected by the Faculty Evaluation Committee from the eight college level nominees. The person selected as the Robins Award Teacher of the Year is recognized at the annual Robins Award and receives a $2,000 cash award at the Graduation Exercises.
QCNR Nomination Process and Criteria
Nominations for the 2013 - 2014 academic year must be submitted by [TBA].
- The Dean’s Office will send out a call for nominations at the beginning of January in the form of flyers, emails and announcements.
- Students and faculty may submit nominations here.
- The Dean’s Office will collect all nominations and forward them to the QCNR selection committee for review.
Nominations should be as brief as possible (no more than a page) and should address the following criteria:
1. Excellence in teaching over at least three years as supported by standard university course evaluations and letters from peers.
2 . The inclusion of the other evidence of teaching excellence in addition to course evaluations and letters from peers.
3. Responsibility for a minimum of six-credit annual assignment including at least one undergraduate course.
4. Evidence of creative teaching innovation.
5. Because so many individuals are potentially deserving of the University Teacher of the Year Award, past recipients will not be considered.
QCNR Selection Process
The QCNR Awards Committee will select the current year’s candidate from the nominations. Recipients from the past five years of the QCNR award or the USU Robins award (ever) are not eligible. Those ineligible for the QCNR Teacher of the Year this year: David Koons (2013), Fee Busby (2012), Chris Call (2011), Phaedra Budy (2010), Wayne Wurtsbaugh (2009), Karen Mock (2007).
The QCNR Teacher of the Year award will be presented to the recipient at the QCNR Awards Banquet.
The QCNR Teacher of the Year recipient will also be nominated for the USU Robins Teacher of the Year award and must prepare materials for a Robins Award selection committee.
Please submit nomination materials to the Dean's Office no later than [TBA].
1. A statement from the candidate summarizing his or her objectives as a teacher, and explaining how his or her pedagogy is designed to meet those objectives.
2. A summary of evaluations scores and enrollments for courses taught the last three years.
3. Letters of support from students (maximum of ten).
4. A letter of nomination from the department head spelling out the candidate's teaching responsibilities and influence on teaching in the department.
5. A short CV that emphasizes teaching roles (including publications that relate to pedagogy).
6. An external observation of the teaching.
7. A sample syllabus.